Tuesday, April 28, 2009

27 April 2009 - New Squat Technique

My squat has been doing much better in this recent training cycle. I hit 455lbs for a triple in knee wraps only. I've also hit 365lbs + doubled blue bands for a double with just knee wraps.

That said, I've been a high bar squatter my whole life. The lifts listed above are all high bar squats (with a wide stance). I feel like my legs are as strong now as they've ever been - but, I also feel like I'm reaching the upper limits of my squat. This seemingly oxymoronic situation piqued my interest in variations in the squat movement itself. I'm always preaching form (Zeek can vouch for me here!), so I started shopping around for a new squat. Back to the Diesel Crew website's Training Center and Articles page! Check out How to Squat (this page contains great info and an article from Rick Walker entitled, Cleaning Up the Squat...all in one place).

I narrowed my limiting factor to my traditional high bar placement (under heavy loads the weight feels like it's going to fold me in half). I gave the low bar squat a go last night - it's going to take some getting used to; but, I think it's going to work great. I will say this: it is not easy on my shoulders and wrists! WOW! I didn't have my wrist wraps and it was a serious detriment. I stopped at 405lbs...which sucks because, my legs had plenty left in the tank.

Shoulder Pre-Hab (L/R)
-Rotator Cuff Work - 5lbs
-Front/Mid/Rear Delt Work - 5lbs

Triceps/Wrist Warm-Up (L/R)
-Overhead Triceps Extensions - 45lbs
-Wrist Flexion/Extension/Adduction/Abduction - 20lbs

Squat Warm-Up
-BW Good-Mornings X 20
-BW Squats X 20
-Bar Good-Mornings X 20
-Bar Squats X 20

Low Bar Squats
-135 X 5
-185 X 5
-225 X 3
-275 X 3
-315 X 3
-365 X 3
-405 X 3 (Super easy; but, it felt like my wrists were breaking!)

Bottoms-Up Squats (Smith Machine, full pause on the bottom)
-135 X 10
-225 X 8
-315 X 5
-315 X 5

1-Leg Press (L/R)
-190 X 5
-240 X 5
-240 X 5 (I tossed a bunch of calf raises in here somewhere.)

Seated Leg Curls
-200 X 22
-220 X 18
-240 X 14

My legs felt great last night - the form felt solid on the squats, I just need my wrist wraps for these squats. BAD. My shoulders were tight; but, not to a level of concern. I think the low bar squats are going to work for me.

Goody

1 comment:

Mitch said...

Goody,

It's good to change things up in a workout routine. Sometimes that's all it takes to speed up progress. I've read through the Diesel Crew page before and it's got tons of good tips.

Mitchell