Monday, January 7, 2008

Workout Reports, etc.

I hit a grip workout with my boy, Geo this Saturday. It was good fun, per usual. Here's how it went.

Warm-Up (L/R)
-easy extensor band X 50
-med extensor band X 40
-hard extensor band X 25
-easy stress ball X 30
-easy stress ball X 25 (pinky and ring fingers only)

Grippers
RH
-Filed HG150 X 15 TNS
-CoC #2 X 3 OC
-HG300N X 3 OC
-HG350 X 1 OC
-Choked CoC #3 X 2 missed max effort attempts (~1/16-1/8)
-CoC #4 X 1 NEG
-CoC #2 X 8 MMS
-Filed HG150 X 10 TNS
LH
-Filed HG150 X 15 TNS
-CoC #2 X 3 OC
-HG300N X 1 OC, 2 FR
-HG350 X 1 FR
-Choked CoC #3 X 2 missed max effort attempts (~3/8)
-CoC #4 X 0 (I'd be lying if I called this a negative)
-CoC #2 X 5 MMS
-Filed HG150 X 8 TNS

Stress Ball (L/R)
-2 X 30
-2 X 20 (P&R only)

10lb. Concrete Weight Pinch
-3 X 20 (one handed pinch, switching hands in the air)

25lb. Plate Pinch
-3 X 20 (one handed pinch, switching hands in the air)

25lb. Plate Wrist Curls (L/R)
-3 X 10

25lb. Plate Tosses
-3 X 20 (flat side to flat side)

Fingertip Presses (two hands, ~50lb. stone)
-3 X 12

Front Lever (13lb. v-bar + 5lb. plate) (L/R)
-3 X 5

Rear Lever (13lb. v-bar + 5lb. plate) (L/R)
-3 X 8

Wrist Rotations (13lb. v-bar + 5lb. plate)
-3 X 5 (RH)
-1 X 5 (LH, my wrist started straining, so I stopped)

NOTES: This was a great workout. The Grippers felt really nice, and as you can see I went for a max effort day on my CoC #3. I finally got that thing in a choker. I notched a big washer and got it down over the spring. It's just wider than parallel, and it feels great. On both attempts, Geo said the gap was slightly larger than a piece of paper. Close, but not shut. Negatives on my new CoC #4 are the hardest thing I've ever done with grippers. I can't believe there are guys out there that close these things. I thought my hand was going to explode!!!! That thing is badass. I couldn't even hold it remotely close to closed for longer than a millisecond with my LH. Yeah. It's sick. The pinch and wrist stuff felt great, especially the plate curls and plate tosses. (I pulled both of these movements from John Brookfield's book, "The Grip Master's Manual". It's full of incredible, low cost training ideas. A HUGE thanks to GEO for the gift...I'll pass the book along once I finish studying it.) The plate tosses are meant to be done with a block weight, but the plate works just fine. I actually think it hits the fingers so hard, it might even be better than a block weight.

No comments: